Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lesson Three Blog

This blog will focus on how I utilize word processing and desktop publishing programs in my classroom to create various "documents" to present information, news, and more. In case you're unsure of what these programs are, allow me first to provide a brief explanation of each. A word processing program allows teachers/students to type information and often includes tools like a spell checker, thesaurus, and a guide to using proper grammar. Desktop publishing programs are fairly similar to word processing ones as they allow teachers/students to type and present information in the form of banners, flyers, newsletters, etc. However, desktop publishing programs also enable users to arrange photographs, drawings, and other graphics. Lastly, just so we're on the same page, Microsoft Word is a word processing program and Microsoft Publisher is a DTP (desktop publishing program).

Now that we've got that out of the way, let's move on to the assignment at hand. As an educator, I use both types of programs constantly. It seems like I find myself typing up a test, worksheet, or other instructional document each week using Microsoft Word. These materials aren't always the "prettiest" things you've ever seen but they are extremely organized. Unlike some items I've seen other teachers make, I try to limit the amount of pictures and graphics I put on the documents I create using a word processing program. I feel that I should utilize as much space as possible for higher-order thinking questions and try to provide as much space for student responses as I can.

Secondly, as a part of my professional growth plan at my school, I have sent home monthly newsletters to strengthen my communication with parents and guardians. These documents are much more visually pleasing than the educational documents I create in Microsoft Word. Each newsletter is divided into sections that tell what's going on in our classroom currently, what our class will be learning in the future, and what events will be taking place in our school. I do feel, however, that I tend to include too much information that can distract the readers from absorbing everything I want them to from the newsletters. In the future I plan to send home two (or more) newsletters each month with condensed information so that I can avoid this issue.

The next part of my assignment this week is to recreate an item that I use in my classroom to make it more effective. I will first post a picture of what I created and will then explain why I feel it'll be better than what I currently use.







(Click to enlarge!)








On this newsletter, I provided more space for each section and also limited the amount of information that I included. Like I mentioned previously, my newsletters are usually overflowing with info and could seem cluttered to those who read it. Therefore, I feel the newsletter I posted above will help alleviate this issue. My ultimate goal with sending these newsletters home is to open the lines of communication between the classroom and my students' homes. So, it's probably a good idea for me to make them as communicable as possible! ;)

Thanks for reading this week's blog and be sure to send me an email with any questions/comments/concerns. Have a good day.

- Mr. David Jenkins
New Highland Elementary

No comments:

Post a Comment